New Declaration of Independence Drafted by Vincent H. Miller and Jarret B. Wollstein May 1992
Note added April 2015: This New Declaration was copied from ISIL's website in the mid-1990s. Over twenty years have gone by and it is still relevant to the social situation in the U.S.A. Indeed, that situation has so deteriorated that the U.S. is now, all but officially admitted, a fascist police state. The need for such a declaration remains, as shown by the 2015 article "Battlefield America: The War on the American People" by John W. Whitehead, excepts from which are given following this New Declaration.
Two hundred years ago our ancestors signed a document which forever changed the course of history. Colonial Americans severed the bonds to a tyrannical king and parliament in England and established in America for the first time a society based on the principle of the rule of law and limited government. Benjamin Franklin, one of our great statesmen, stated at this time: "Gentlemen we give you a Republic — if you can keep it."
The result was a glorious and turbulent 200+ years which witnessed the greatest achievements, the highest standard of living, and the highest levels of individual freedom ever experienced in human history. However, we have allowed government to grow without bounds so that today the golden prize of liberty has been all but lost.
Thomas Jefferson, George Mason, and the signers of the first Declaration of Independence made the following observations about the nature of man and government which are as valid today as the day they were written:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
WE THE PEOPLE of these fifty States have patiently suffered mounting government outrages against us — lies, corruption, legal plunder and terror. We have waited in despair for reforms and redress, but the outrages have only gotten worse. We can now wait no longer. The fundamental rights of the people must be restored now. Government's role must be limited to protection of our lives, liberty and property.
These are the crimes of the State against its citizens:
- They have erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our People, and eat out their substance. The IRS, Justice Department, police, State and local revenue authorities and a growing list of other government agencies have engaged in an escalating orgy of terror, looting, and wholesale seizure of private wealth to feed the appetite of arrogant and rapacious bureaucracies.
- They have subverted the electoral process through unjust and exclusionary ballot-access laws. Vast sums of tax-extorted monies have been used to create a Congressional Monopoly and Imperial Presidency, which have crushed dissent and excluded any serious challenge to their power.
- They have multiplied laws beyond reason or humanity, subverting both the words and intent of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. There is not a single American who could not be arrested, imprisoned and impoverished for violating one of the millions of arbitrary and incomprehensible government laws and edicts now in force.
- They have instituted oppressive and destructive taxes; stolen over half of our incomes year after year; compelled us to testify against ourselves by filling out endless compulsory reports; made us into unpaid government spies and tax collectors; and destroyed our peace, security, and freedom in order to finance their oppressive bureaucracies, failed social programs, and wars of aggression.
- They have seized control of our economy and have dictated and controlled every aspect of how our businesses must be operated. They have issued edict upon edict, issued regulation on top of regulation, instituted fine after fine, treated us as common criminals, imprisoned us and seized our property.
- They have destroyed our financial security. They have debauched the currency, substituting worthless paper for gold and silver. They have clandestinely seized our banking system, inflating the currency and looting the economy. They have burdened us with enormous deficits and waste which have brought our nation to the brink of bankruptcy. They have destroyed jobs and stifled initiative with suffocating regulations and oppressive bureaucracies.
- They have hobbled and corrupted our system of justice by creating endless numbers of technical crimes against the State, and crimes without victims, making vices into crimes, dissent into treason, and sensuality into perversion. They have seized billions of dollars worth of property without due process of law, imprisoned countless thousands without indictment or trial, and have made equal justice under law impossible by manipulating courts and juries, terrorizing our attorneys, and seizing their fees.
- They have kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies. In direct violation of the Constitution, U.S. troops have repeatedly invaded and reduced to ruin foreign countries without declaration of war by Congress. They have used force to compel our children to fight and die in foreign wars far removed from their homes. In the name of the War on Drugs they have declared open war on the people of the United States, invading farm and field, village and home, and spreading terror across the land.
- They have perverted our relations with other nations, using their power to support foreign despotisms. They have bribed other nations with foreign aid, restricted foreign trade, and exported massive quantities of weapons of death and destruction, fomenting discord, repression and war throughout the world.
WE SUBMIT that the government of the United States of America has abrogated its sacred covenant to protect the life, liberty and property of the people of this nation. With the collapse of major foreign threats, our own government has emerged as the greatest menace to freedom, prosperity and peace, both here and throughout the world.
WE FURTHER SUBMIT that we, the people, have all but lost control of our political institutions and that government has ceased to be our servant and instead has become a terrible and tyrannical master. To restore the freedom, peace and prosperity of the people, we therefore demand:
- That a new Constitutional Convention be called to restore and strengthen the legal protection of each individual's inalienable right to life, liberty and property.
- That a new, and stronger Bill of Rights be drafted which will guarantee the inalienable rights of the individual to life, liberty and property. That all laws be abolished which restrict freedom of speech, press, religion, assembly and enterprise; the right to keep and bear arms and the right to own and dispose of property. That henceforth it shall be a treasonable offense to pass any laws which violate the rights of the individual.
- That a "Citizen Veto" be created at federal, state and local levels, whereby all citizens can veto any new legislation, including revenue acts. We also call for the establishment of a universal citizen power of Recall so that unscrupulous politicians may be removed from power by citizen initiative.
- That the Income Tax and the IRS be abolished and that all persons jailed for tax evasion be freed.
- That sufficient government property be sold to retire the national debt. That all government agencies which are not engaged in the protection of the life, liberty and property of the individual, be privatized.
- To restore security to our banking system, we demand that the Federal Reserve, FDIC, FSLIC and currency laws be abolished, and that banking and insurance systems be left to the private sector.
- That all laws creating franchise monopolies in education, medicine, utilities, mail delivery and other public services be abolished.
- That State and Economy be separated, and that federal control of interstate commerce be confined to prohibition of tariffs and trade restrictions between States. That freedom of association be restored to enterprise, including freedom to hire, fire, contract and negotiate; that all capitalist acts between consenting adults be legalized.
- That all restrictions upon foreign trade be abolished, including tariffs, quotas, import duties, license fees, content laws, and "dumping" laws.
- That all federal laws restricting gun ownership be abolished, and that a trained, well-armed citizenry be encouraged, as a defense against domestic criminals, foreign aggression and domestic tyranny.
- That due process of law and the presumption of innocence be restored. That RICO statutes and other laws enabling the government to confiscate property without the owners being convicted of any crime be abolished. That the 7th Amendment to the Constitution, preserving the right to trial by jury in civil disputes be strengthened to include disputes between Citizens and the State.
- That the Fully Informed Jury Amendment be passed, and all juries henceforth be informed of their right to judge the propriety of laws as well as the facts of cases.
- That Sovereign Immunity, which makes government officers and agents immune from prosecution for their crimes be abolished. That presumption in trials in favor of government officials, police officers and other agents of the state be ended. That government officials and agents, and citizens be treated as equal before the law in all cases, both criminal and civil.
- That all victimless crime laws be abolished, including laws restricting the sale or possession of pornography and controlled substances. That the War on Drugs be ended, Drug Peace be declared, and all persons imprisoned for victimless crimes be immediately freed and their records cleared. That immigration laws and the INS be abolished. Henceforth the only persons restricted from immigration to the United States shall be known criminals or those carrying easily communicable diseases. That imprisoned illegal aliens be freed.
- That the function of the military be confined to defense of the territory of the United States, and that all U.S. troops be removed from foreign countries. Henceforth the sole purpose of the military shall be protection of the lives and property of U.S. citizens at home.
WE SEEK to create an America in which the freedom and sovereignty of the people are restored; in which the functions of government are limited to protecting life, liberty and property; and in which each and every individual is again the master of his or her own destiny.
WE SUPPORT this Declaration in the certainty that our rights are inalienable and innate and not subject to the whims of government; that the only rights which we will ultimately retain, are those which we are willing to defend; and that rapid yet peaceful reform is now America's only alternative to tyranny and mounting social violence.
TO CREATE a new dawn of liberty for America, and to secure a rebirth of liberty, justice, peace and prosperity for all, we mutually pledge each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor. We seek and will settle for nothing less than freedom in our time.
Vincent Miller is current President of the International Society for Individual Liberty (ISIL).
Jarret Wollstein is an ISIL Director.
Attractive 2-color hard copies of this New Declaration of Independence are available through ISIL for five (1992) cents each — minimum order (1992) $1.00.
Available in 11" x 17" poster form printed on hemp paper, $7.95. Contact ISIL for their free newsletter and book catalog.
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY
237 Kearny St. #120, San Francisco, CA, 94108-4502, USA
ISIL's web site
Still here after more than 20 years.
Excerpts from the article Battlefield America: The War on the American People by John W. Whitehead:
As I document in my new book Battlefield America: The War on the American People, “we the people” have now come full circle, from being held captive by the British police state to being held captive by the American police state. In between, we have charted a course from revolutionaries fighting for our independence and a free people establishing a new nation to pioneers and explorers, braving the wilderness and expanding into new territories. ...
To our dismay, we now find ourselves scrambling for a foothold as our once rock-solid constitutional foundation crumbles beneath us. And no longer can we rely on the president, Congress, the courts, or the police to protect us from wrongdoing. Indeed, they have come to embody all that is wrong with America.
For instance, how does a man who is relatively healthy when taken into custody by police lapse into a coma and die while under their supervision? What kind of twisted logic allows a police officer to use a police car to run down an American citizen and justifies it in the name of permissible deadly force? And what country are we living in where the police can beat, shoot, choke, taser and tackle American citizens, all with the protection of the courts?
Certainly, the Constitution’s safeguards against police abuse means nothing when government agents can crash through your door, terrorize your children, shoot your dogs, and jail you on any number of trumped of charges, and you have little say in the matter. For instance, San Diego police, responding to a domestic disturbance call on a Sunday morning, showed up at the wrong address, only to shoot the homeowner’s 6-year-old service dog in the head. ...
There is no end to the government’s unmitigated gall in riding roughshod over the rights of the citizenry, whether in matters of excessive police powers, militarized police, domestic training drills, SWAT team raids, surveillance, property rights, overcriminalization, roadside strip searches, profit-driven fines and prison sentences, etc.
The president can now direct the military to detain, arrest and secretly execute American citizens. These are the powers of an imperial dictator, not an elected official bound by the rule of law. For the time being, Barack Obama wears the executioner’s robe, but you can rest assured that this mantle will be worn by whomever occupies the Oval Office in the future. ...
As for the courts, they have long since ceased being courts of justice. Instead, they have become courts of order, largely marching in lockstep with the government’s dictates, all the while helping to increase the largesse of government coffers. It’s called for-profit justice, and it runs the gamut of all manner of financial incentives in which the courts become cash cows for communities looking to make an extra buck. ...
Whether or not the government plans to impose some form of martial law in the future remains to be seen, but there can be no denying that we’re being accustomed to life in a military state. The malls may be open for business, the baseball stadiums may be packed, and the news anchors may be twittering nonsense about the latest celebrity foofa, but those are just distractions from what is really taking place: the transformation of America into a war zone. ...
If you haven’t managed to read the writing on the wall yet, the war has begun.
The So-Called War on Drugs Liberty and Democracy Censorship Serendipity Home Page